Thursday, October 23, 2008

Silent train...

Just one more comment about the senses and sound and image in films. About Steven Woloshen's  film, in particular, I know how important the roll of sound is to him and how he starts by listening over and over again to a musical piece, while in his car, playing the rhythm with his fingers, trying to understand and feel the sound before starting visualizing and animating it... 
Do the sound-train and image-train go together? How different an experience would be looking at a train coming towards us without its sound?
Any small change in image or sound bring out a totally different result. I remember Erin's comment when she showed in class a short video I made -Movements II- (trying different ways to show it I made a version with one screen and another one with two): How different the one with the two screens was because the eye would concentrate on the  in-between black space created by the two screens one next to the other and how the ominous and rhythmic sound specifies the experience...
I guess that  the senses collaborate and they "lend" their specificities to one another even when some of them are absent.

1 comment:

Erin Manning said...

I like the idea of the sound-train - makes me think of sound in movement, which already makes it feel like a movement-image. This comes close, I think, to how the image works in Take 5...