Wednesday, October 8, 2008

watching again

I’m still thinking about the object also being an image, a perception, and how this relates to repetition. Ever since I was young I have liked most of all to watch movies that I have already seen. Negotiating the world around the images is such a task and still leaves so much out, that the same movie can be seen again and again, and each time it is something slightly different than what it was before. Maybe this is appealing because watching again allows for habits of perception to form so that new aspects of the encounter may be perceived. But have I ever actually watched the same movie twice? Each time a film is encountered it is in concert with a new constellation of events, and the film I see is only one film of many, subtracted out of the whole of the film through my subjective perception. Watching a film again is not proof that a pre-constituted film exists and is now being presented to me again, but rather that the remembered version of the film is activated by the second showing and through this memory the present film becomes as a new relation. My impulse to watch a movie I have already seen is in fact a desire to revisit a becoming-with the present moment which is activated by residues of the past.

No comments: